by Pat Glover
Over the years a second shorter race was added allowing for more participation for beginning runners. That tradition of giving athletes a choice of one or two loops of the campus continues today. The university landscape has changed much over the years, necessitating adjustments in the loop distance, but the concept of one and two loops remains the same. Thus the odd distances of 2.95 mi and 5.9 mi.
This year marks the 45th anniversary of that first event. The race celebration is scheduled for Sunday, September 18th at 9 a.m. Here is the Top Ten List of Reasons to run this year:
1. Beautiful commemorative glassware for the first 125 registered runners
2. Free entry for HMRRC members & $5 for nonmembers
3. Day-of registration only
4. Post-race refreshments
5. Baked goods for overall and age group winners
6. HMRRC Grand Prix points in the 5.9 mi
7. Pictures and historical information on display
8. Cool raffle awards
9. Guest appearances by some of the “originals”
10. A guaranteed good time for all
New this year is a half mile kids’ fun run! Awards will be given to all youngsters competing! We hope to encourage those younger runners, so please bring the kids this year!
It should be noted that this is a “throwback” race, a bit more laid back than most, harking back to “those days of yesteryear!” No elaborate sound systems, no chutes, no chip timing...in fact, you get your own time on the clock as you cross the finish line.
So we invite you to join us in celebration of HMRRC’s 45th anniversary! We look forward to seeing you on the 18th!