homerace cornerfun runsmembership infohot newsmembers onlycontact us  

HMRRC Forum

You are not logged in. The message board requires you to register and then login.

#1 2006-10-17 12:12:34 pm

kellym

nike+ipod

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.  I've been running with my nike+ipod (http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/) for about a month and its the best thing that happened to my running since I discovered stability shoes for my flat as a pancake feet.

Basically, a $30 Nike kit converts your ipod nano into a personal trainer that calculates your distance and pace in real time, as you're running.  You can program workouts to be open-ended, by time, distance or calories burned.  At various intervals in your run, your music dims and a pleasant voice reports your time, distance and pace.  When you PR during a run, at the end, Lance Armstong or Paula Radcliffe announce that you've just set a new personal record for distance, 1 mile, 5k or whatever.

When you complete your run, your ipod will automatically upload your data to nike.com, where you create a free account that keeps track of all your runs, helps you set goals for your running, and lets you challenge other nike+ipod users to races, or to work collaboratively as a team to acheive goals.

I couldn't bear to part with my beloved Brooks Adrenalines, so I jerry-rigged a little piece of fabric to hold the nike receiver under my shoe laces, instead of buying the special Nike shoes.

It has totally re-energized my running, and prodded me to run farther and faster.  I'm curious if anyone else has one, and what they think of it.

#2 2006-10-20 09:40:54 pm

twit

Re: nike+ipod

I had not heard of this before, but it sounds very interesting.  I particularly like the idea of having your run stats auto-captured.  I occasionally forget to log my runs, and am always bummed when I realize it.  Considering how rarely I go back to look at them, I'm not sure why I care...but for some reason I do. 

I'm curious though, do you take your iPod on every run?  I only use headphones on the treadmill, or when I'm off-road.  Wearing them in traffic, even light traffic, scares me.  I've heard too many stories of car-runner accidents to do anything that would distract me from what is going on around me.

#3 2006-10-29 08:20:56 pm

kellym

I do take it on every run - and you can also use it without the music, and just have the "announcer" mark your milemarks - or not even that.  I will say, it doesn't do elevation very well - at the Squirrelly Six, it counted off 6.24 miles.  But that could also be due to the fact that the transmitter was under a great deal of water for half the run!  smile

#4 2006-12-09 08:47:16 pm

fateague

I've read about this and I agree it looks interesting.   I'm wondering about the accuracy of the mileage it reports.   I currently have a Garmin GPS that I can wear on my wrist and it is all over the place in terms of accuracy.    You can forget about measuring anything in the woods with it.

Has anybody run a measured course with the Nike * system?

Brian

#5 2006-12-12 10:34:08 am

kellym

The most my nike+ has been off on a 5k course has been .05 mi.  Courses with a lot of terrain - like the Squirrelly Six - i think it was off by almost .2 mi. 

I've become completely addicted to checking my leaderboard stats on the nike+ website.  just what i needed, a whole new level of statistical obsession with my running.  *eye roll*

#6 2011-05-19 02:12:14 pm

myriad

Reviving an old thread here.  I have a Nike+ that was given to me as a gift, but I don't have an ipod!  I've been lusting over the Garmin Forerunner 110, but a friend of mine has recently started using the Nike + ipod combo and loves it.  Anyone who has used both systems, who can share a comparison/preference?  Not sure what would be a better investment for me:  a Nano to go with the Nike+ or a Garmin.

#7 2011-05-20 08:52:31 am

sherluck

I purchased a Garmin Forerunner several years ago and stopped using it due to its obvious gross inaccuracies. Recently I started using a free APP on my smartphone, SPORTSTRACKER, and I am delighted with its performance.

#8 2011-05-20 10:18:13 am

myriad

If only they had apps like that for my dumb phone.  smile

Update, June 6:  I took the plunge and ordered a Garmin Forerunner 110.  Should have it in a couple of days.  I'll come back and report on it after I've given it a spin.

Last edited by myriad (2011-06-06 10:09:17 am)

Board footer